Thursday, April 26, 2012

How does Cathy Howse get her "natural/chemical free" hair to look relaxed?

Let's start with the tools I use to make my natural achieve the straight look. You will need: Wide tooth comb, Conair Hair Designer blow dryer (see picture below), 8-10 alligator clips, UBH Shampoo, UBH Silky Spray Moisturizer w/ trigger sprayer and a flat iron with a thermostat control.


After I wash my hair with UBH shampoo, just before I towel dry, I section my hair down the middle and clip each section. Since afro hair can tangle easily when wet, controlled handling, putting the hair in clips keeps the hair stretched out, which prevents excessive tangling when it is patted down with the towel. In my book Thinning Edges, I discussed sectioning the hair before it is wet so you can choose either way.

  1. After towel drying the hair, take one of the 2 sections of hair and section it into 4 sections so you will end up with 8 total sections of hair. (I personally prefer to have 5 total section on each side because drying the hair straight is easier with small sections.)
  2. As you section the hair, spray it heavily with UBH Silky Spray from roots to ends, directly at the section of hair.
  3. Comb from ends to the roots to detangle.
  4. After combing out the tangles, twist and clip each hair section. Do this until you have clipped all the hair all over your head.
  5. Using the Conair hair designer blow dryer, dry each section, replacing the clip so the hair remains in sections. (Note: most blow dryers have a comb attachment that can make afro hair poofy. The Conair hair designer has a patented head that holds the hair to smooth it straight during drying.)
  6. Plug in your flat iron and choose one of the hotter settings on the thermostat but not so hot your hair is burning when you touch it with the iron.
  7. Next take small sections of hair and pull the iron from roots to end straight down the hair.

To achieve loose curls, pull the iron from roots to end but turn the flat iron ½ turn as you move down the hair shaft to the ends.

Take a look at our video below and see how Cathy's hairdresser goes through these steps.




14 comments:

  1. Looks good, Cathy. How long can you keep your look before it goes puffy and what do you do at night to keep the curl until the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the Conair dryer in the video. ??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the video, my hairdresser is using his blow dryer. When I do my hair at home, I use the Conair hair dryer. Cathy H

      Delete
    2. Do you still do your hair once every 3 days ?

      Delete
  3. Am just beginning to go Natural and you inspired me more. I am going to write some articles about Natural hair soon on my website www.isiprom.com and I will need a little help from you, hope I can ask for this favour when am ready?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do my best to assist you. Please ensure you give credit when due.

      Delete
  4. I have the same dryer: I bought it so I could do big fluffy blowouts! I consider both yourself and Chicoro godmothers of DIY black haircare. I appreciate the no nonsense approach and the focus on technique rather than a laundry list of 'elixirs'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondered - do you recommend the Hair Essentials offered by Natural Well Being?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I only recommend things I use myself which is only Ultra Black Hair Products.

      Delete
  6. I am relaxed and currently stretching. I am 24 weeks post relaxer. I used the ubh products for the first time. They were great. My thing is after I shampoo I use the deep conditioner, silky spray then satin creme, blow dry then flat iron. I didn't get a too result, my hair revert within about three and a half hours. Why is this? Is this because I deep conditioned after I shampoo( this you didn't do)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The products will not stop your hair from reverting. When you iron the creme on your hair often, over time, your hair will stretch out like it is texturized. But it wont be a permanent straightening like relaxed hair. Sorry for the confusion.

      Delete
  7. Hello, I just came across this info. What things can I do at home with simple inexpensive products. I don't make much money and have a hard time using anything on my hair. May texture has changed since my diet changed. It is more beautiful but lengthwise I want to improve it. What would you recommend for a homeschooling mom with only 100 dollars a week to spend( on everything needed)? I watched many of your videos. Could I just hydrate with water and olive oil? Can I shampoo with one of the dollar shampoos for dry hair? What things specific would I look out for? Thank you for however you can help. I definitely will give feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi

    I do private hair consultations for only $25.00 If you are interested contact me @ naturalhairexpert035@gmail.com with any questions and concerns you need help with and I will see how to best help you. I also help people in re growing hair from the loss of alopecia. contact me I look forward to helping you and to get you on the right track with your hair growth

    ReplyDelete