Friday, September 16, 2011

What are the benefits of Silicone in the Ultra Black Hair products?

When I was asked this question, I had to first consider how I wanted to answer it. If you have been on the internet to see what others have to say about using silicone in products, you are probably quite confused by now. The internet is loaded with both technical responses to this question as well as responses from individuals just offering their opinions.

If you are familiar with my proven hair growth system and my publications on hair growth over the years, then you know that the only way I can respond to this question is by giving you the truth as I know it. So here it is. For the last 14 years, I have used silicone on my hair every day in the form of dimethicone and cyclomethicone also known as the “cones.” The first spray moisturizer (or Dew spray) I developed back in 1997 contained silicone. Products I have developed since then have also contained silicone including my most recent Silky Spray and Satin Crème products developed this year.

I first encountered these remarkable ingredients in the early 1990’s when my then hairdresser applied hair polish to my hair after treatment. The look and feel afterwards was amazing! It made my then chemically relaxed hair shiny, soft and smooth! So, between the early 1990’s through 1997, I began experimenting with finding the right balance of silicone ingredients to incorporate into my maintenance products.

I am sure that in your research of this topic, you have learned that one of the biggest critiques from opponents of silicone is the concern that it builds up on the hair. Well, you have to ask yourself the question just as I did – Is that a negative or a positive? Again, I can only respond from my own experience over the years and here are the benefits I have experienced:

Silicone Benefits
  • Great detangler for all hair types. Softens and smoothes the texture of the hair allowing the comb to glide through. Thus, reduces hair loss and breakage.
  • Seals and protects the hair from heat when blow drying/flat ironing.
  • Provides instant, long-lasting shine.
  • Light, non-greasy consistency that evaporates quickly avoiding transfer to hands or clothing.
  • And is a great non-caustic way to temporarily soften hair without destroying it like chemical relaxer products.
Again, I have used silicone in my products and on my hair for many years now. Over the course of time, I have not encountered any bad experiences, only the benefits I listed above. Overall, the texture and manageability of my hair has greatly improved.

Take a look at the video below which shows my hairdresser using my products containing silicone on my hair and judge for yourself. My hair has the length I want and it’s shiny and healthy. In my journey from damaged, brittle and breaking hair to the full head of hair you see here, silicone has played and will continue to play a significant role in managing and maintaining my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment